Thursday, November 20, 2008
Thanksgiving, Black Friday...... Christmas....
Next week, we'll be having a Thanksgiving feast w/Stephan's family, at his Aunt Nancy's home.. I have come to adore this woman, for all that she is, and love that I have someone with in the family who has been there done that in our faith and homeschooling. When the rest of the family scurries home early, we lag behind and play games or just chat w/ Nancy, Bill and their daughter Debby and husband Ricky. Nancy played a special part in the lives of Chloe and Molly by being their caregiver while I worked full time then part time then full time again, and she continues to have a special place in the hearts of my girls.... The meal YUMMY, dessert good as well, we'll visit with family, and this year will have to joy of having Stephan's Dad's parents Grandmom and Grandpop Rouze at the wonderful Thanksgiving feast. The house is crammed full of family, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times.. not hustle bustle, or obligation to buy meaningless gifts for whoever... Our day typically starts out w/my girls and I at my parents home to watch the Thanksgiving day parade, and to look at the Black Friday ads (to see if we are going to be nuts and wake up at 5am for the big deal) while Stephan sleeps off a night off work. Then the Dinner fun starts at Aunt Nancy's. Then we'll talk about who's going where and where are we going to have lunch together on the next day... Always fun.... This year will be similar to previous years and in so many ways different. We have had the glorious journey of learning less is more.. and that more stuff or more things does not by any means buy anyone happiness. We are tired of worrying about what to buy for so and so... After 7 years.. of Christmas' filled with flying paper at family Christmas gatherings.. who got what.. and what was their reaction... and what on earth did you get I sure missed it only saw the nice wrapping paper fly past my head.... geee... I'm not even sure what I got...... what did the kids get??? Dunno... I get home with piles of toys, clothes, candles, candies, cookies, jewelry, cd's, books, lotions.. and whatever else... and I have no Idea who any of this stuff came from.. it's jumbled and sitting in a pile near my Christmas tree, and now the task of where to put everything, it takes days, weeks, and months to recover from all this new stuff..... is the picture clear in your mind?? Last year our girls received from us Stephan and myself, a scooter, a few movies, cds, and a replenishment of their paper/pen supplies...... from immediate family..... loads of stuff.. some things I wouldn't buy them ever..... This year..... will be more simple.. we have decided one meaningful gift w/a stocking full of new crayons, craft items, and paper.... that will be it here in our home... and we have urged family to just get ONE and only ONE gift for our girls this year.... This year I would be happy enough with nothing for myself. The greatest gift I received this year was the chance to get out of a large amount of debt, move to a house I'm loving more each day, and to be able to home school my girls, and have most of my days spent with Chloe, Molly, and Tristen. I want to reflect this year on the true meaning of Christmas, Christ and the wonderful gift God gave us his son who died on the cross for us so that we may have ever lasting life. What a great gift and so many of us get wrapped up in the have it all that we forget what Christmas is all about..... God has given me so much these past few years, a great family, an awesome husband, beautiful and smart children, a wonderful church family, food, clothing, and shelter.... for those things I'm grateful to the God I long to serve better each day..... I love my Jesus.. and I long for my family to truly seek him... So I'll keep praying that those walls will come down from around their hearts and the blinders off their eyes.. I fail.. and I mess up on a daily basis.. however I'm trying with all I have in me... To serve my Lord.... and to do his will.... My pray is for the salvation of all of my dear loved ones
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
well said!!!
Post a Comment