Friday, March 13, 2009

Chickens!!

6 total! We have 6 baby chicks! 3 yellow, and 3 black w/ white markings. What we know, they'll lay about 1 egg a day to every other day each in about 6 months. There will be medium brown eggs. Their breed is a mystery, both Stephan and I have been told, but have both failed to write it down or remember! Sad I know! For now they are living in am aquarium, w/ a mesh cover, with a lamp to stay extra warm to one side! The girls are thrilled, Stephan and I are like big kids sometimes and are enjoying them too. This is a fun adventure. Stephan will be constructing their coop soon, for when they get their adult feathers and the weather truly warms up. Why you ask?? Because eggs get more and more expensive by the day, and well this investment if protected and managed well, will be a much more cost effective and healthier way to get eggs for up to 5 years!!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

and you can sell excess if you need to...or give to friends - have fun I remember having chickens when I was younger until we discovered one of our chickens was a rooster and we lived in the city...LOL